In my New York City practice, spiritual direction counseling means helping my fellow spiritual seekers receive and comprehend the communications of the God of their understanding, enter into a two-way dialog with that God, and develop intimacy with God, building a full and healthy relationship. This is predicated on my experience that there is a personally communicating God, called variously by many names, seen with any one of hundreds of forms, and that anyone at all can learn to dialog with their God.
The foundation of our work together will be cultivating personal “Encounters with Divinity,” which engender a relationship based on experiences of the omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence of God. The effect of these direct experiences with God is to silence the mind, broaden awareness, affirm faith, and create enduring spiritual snapshots for the seeker – undoubtable moments of clarity – experiences which can never be wiped from the consciousness and which serve as constant reminders that God is indeed working directly in our lives.
Most spiritual counselors will listen to you, acting as a mirror for your exploration. That is not my way:
- I will actively share my beliefs with you.
- I will share my personal experiences with you.
- I will share the infinite bounty and blessings of my God with you.
- I will try to help you to have your own personal experiences with God that will be with you for the rest of your life.
This is not psychotherapy. It is spiritual therapy:
- I will help you to define the God you believe in.
- I will ask you to surrender yourself completely to that God.
- I will challenge you to forgive the people who have hurt you most.
- I will urge you to take personal responsibility for the causes of your own suffering.
- I will encourage you to go to those you’ve hurt to try to set things right.
- I will coach you on techniques for controlling your thoughts, so that with a quiet mind you will begin to hear the messages your God has been whispering to you all these years.
- I will show you how doing selfless service for your fellow beings can bring you peace, joy, and the personal attention and care of your God.
- Finally, if you make it this far, I will introduce you to the God within yourself.
I’m available for sessions in-person at my New York City office in Manhattan’s Union Square neighborhood, or remotely by telephone or Skype. Please contact me at (917) 573-4439 to discuss your needs and to find out how I can help you.